Membership also provides opportunities to have fun and socialize! Whether you are a Chincoteague native or a newcomer, you will find interesting people and engage in stimulating activities by being a member of Village Neighbors.
Typical destinations on Chincoteague include medical appointments, grocery stores, religious services, and social and cultural events. Transportation services may also include assistance with getting to and from the vehicle and carrying groceries.
Off Island transportation is available for distances of up to 120 miles round trip.
Friendly Visits and Social Interaction
Visits from volunteers can include:
- Reading aloud
- Watching television
- Playing cards or board games
These activities can be enjoyable and meaningful!
Home Services and Maintenance Assistance
Some examples of volunteer home services include:
- Changing light bulbs and smoke alarm batteries
- Closet organization
- Watering outdoor gardens or indoor house plants
- Offering gardening advice, light pruning, planting, and plant repotting
- Light handyman repairs
- Occasional light exterior maintenance (e.g., leaf raking, mulching, snow removal)
Home services provided by Village Neighbors are for light, occasional needs only. Village Neighbors volunteers will not replace routine home maintenance such as cleaning, major yardwork/landscaping, house power washing, vehicle maintenance, etc.
Convenience Services and Errands
Examples of such services can include:
- Prescription drop offs
- Temporary pet care
- Miscellaneous errands including picking up convenience items from local businesses
- Mail pickup or trash disposal to the curb
Computer and Technology Assistance
Below are some examples of technology Village Neighbors volunteers can assist with:
- Cable and internet
- Thermostats, light timers, and small appliances
Volunteers can help by:
- Providing guidance
- Troubleshooting problems
- Organizing files and email
- Helping you learn a common program or application
- Online tasks
Social Outings, Events, and Programs
- Trips to local sites of interest
- Lectures and seminars
- Restaurant outings
- Game days
All member services are offered Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm for 1 - 2 hours. Village Neighbors will attempt to fulfill requests at other times based on volunteer availability.
Village Neighbors is fiscally sponsored by Island Community House a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 2019.
757-336-1993 · VillageNeighbors@village-neighbors.org
6246 Mumford Street · Chincoteague Island, VA · 23336